A home loan is perhaps the most sought after credit option. The lending terms like interest rate, EMIs, etc., determine the financial health of borrowers in the long run. Even a slight change in home loan interest rate brings a considerable difference in the cost of borrowing.
Lenders consider numerous factors while charging home loan interest rate; being aware of the following factors will help borrowers get the most out of the financing option. In addition, recognising these factors will help them secure an affordable lending rate and ease the repayment burden.
Major factors that affect your home loan interest rates
Here are the factors that affect home loan interest rates:
- Credit score: Credit score is a significant determinant of home loan interest rate. It determines the creditworthiness of an individual and is the measure of risk for the lender. An individual with a subpar CIBIL score is considered a high-risk borrower and is charged higher interest rates. An ideal CIBIL score of 750 and above will help one get a lower home loan interest rate and make the home loan process affordable.
- MCLR rates: Home loan interest rate varies depending on the changes in MCLR rate. It is a benchmark lending rate decided by the Reserve Bank of India that a financial institution can lend at. MCLR rate is reviewed annually, influencing the interest rate for home loan borrowers.
- Location of the property: Property’s location determines the applicable home loan rates. Houses in a good locality with pristine conditions and proper amenities have high resale value than one with poor connectivity and inadequate amenities. Hence, borrowers get a lower interest rate on properties with good resale value, and for old property in a less desired neighbourhood, they are charged a higher interest rate.
- Home loan interest type: Financial institutions offer two types of interest rates: fixed and floating. Fixed interest rate remains unchanged throughout the loan tenor, whereas floating interest rate fluctuates depending on RBI’s decision and change in base rates. Floating rates are generally lower than a fixed interest rates. Therefore borrowers must know how to choose between floating and fixed interest rates.
Borrowers who prefer certainty opt for fixed interest rate; on the other hand, floating rates lets borrowers reap the benefits of a reduction in the base rate. In this regard, borrowers can use an online home loan interest calculator to decide which type of interest to opt for.
- Loan tenor: Most lenders offer extended loan tenor as per borrower’s repayment capability. Longer repayment tenor reduces EMI amounts; however, interest outgo increases. So it is recommended to choose a shorter loan tenor as it attracts a lower interest rate.
Intending borrowers can use a housing loan EMI calculator to evaluate the EMI pay-outs and accordingly settle for a loan tenor.
- Income stability: Individuals with a stable source of income are offered lower interest rates. Lenders are likely to provide lower interest rates to salaried individuals, government employees than self-employed individuals. However, self-employed individuals like doctors and chartered accountants are considered less risky borrowers.
- Loan quantum: Loan principal determines the loan affordability. Borrowers can secure a nominal home loan interest rate by paying a sizable amount of property’s value as a down payment.
Furthermore, borrowers can opt for a home loan balance transfer facility by which borrowers can shift their outstanding loan amount to a new lender offering a lower interest rate. This facility proves ideal if borrowers are paying a higher interest rate to their current lender.
In this respect, borrowers must keep track of certain things while doing a home loan balance transfer. It will help borrowers make an informed decision.
Another factor that affects the home loan interest rate is the pre-approved offers extended by leading financial companies on financial products like home loans, loans against property, etc. These offers expedite the loan application process and reduce the cost of borrowing. Intending borrowers can check their pre-approved offers by entering their names and contact details.
On the whole, availing of a home loan is a massive financial decision; therefore, lending terms like home loan interest rate, loan tenor, EMI amounts determine how financially comfortable or burdened a borrower will be throughout the repayment tenor.