Learning science is the most exciting part of the education system. Kids from an early age are introduced to Teach science in some way or the other. Science is super fun when you observe the magic in front of your eyes. These experiments will make them understand the concept of science in a fun and engaging way. There are many fun experiments for kids to do at home, under the supervision of their parents.
To enhance your child’s scientific knowledge about the concept that you are teaching, you can demonstrate, or make them perform experiments. To perform science experiments for kids at home is not a challenging task if you have resources and knowledge. But you need to make sure that the materials or equipment you are using are kid-friendly and affordable. It is better to use things that are available at home to perform these simple experiments.
Needless to say, performing these experiments will enable children to develop cognitive and analytical skills. They will start learning how to observe things and come up with logical conclusions. Most importantly, there will be an increase in curiosity and questioning abilities. Kids are very curious by nature and they will start asking questions on why, what and how during the experiments. Thus, they will learn the concept of science behind each experiment efficiently.
The cool thing about science is that it describes what’s happening all around us, all the time. Sometimes, though, kids find it hard to connect what they know about science to the real world. These easy science experiments for kids can be done at home, with everyday household items, to show kids that the abstract concepts they may have hard about actually have influence over their normal, everyday lives.
Easy Experiments for Kids to Learn Science at Home
Some of the simple experiments for kids to do at home are mentioned below.
- Polymer experiment: This is a fun experiment for kids to learn more about the concept of polymers. For this experiment, you need 2 balloons, a tape and a needle. Take one balloon and inflate it. Then, take a needle and prick the balloon. You will observe that the balloon bursts. Similarly, take another balloon and inflate it. Then, cover the balloon with tape. Now, prick the balloon and you will observe that it does not burst but instead it releases air.
- Evaporation and condensation: This is the best experiment to teach evaporation and condensation for kids. Take hot water in a container and you will observe that there is steam arising from the water.Then, cover the container with a plate and observe. You will see small drops on the surface of the container.
- Acid and Base Experiment: For this, you need a litmus paper, lemon juice and baking soda. Take some lemon juice and dip the litmus paper into it. You will observe that the litmus paper turns into a red color which indicates lemon juice is acidic in nature. Then, take the litmus paper and dip it in baking soda. You will observe that the paper turns into a blue color which indicates a base.
- Volcano experiment: This is one of the fun experiments for kids to do at home. Take an empty bottle and cut its base. Hold the base of the bottle and cover it with tape. Then, take a newspaper and cover the bottle giving an appearance of pyramid shape. Then, take baking soda, vinegar and a few drops of food coloring liquid. Mix it well and pour into the bottle. Step aside and observe. You will notice that the volcano erupts which is due to the chemical reaction between baking soda and vinegar.
Benefits of Conducting Experiments to Teach Science For Kids
It is important to remember that performing experiments are extremely beneficial for kids to enhance their scientific knowledge for better learning outcomes. Apart from conducting experiments, you can provide worksheets for kids where they can record their protocols, observations and conclusions of the experiment that they are performing.
- Imparts scientific knowledge for the concept that they are learning.
- Develops observational and analytical skills.
- Builds confidence and patience to perform experiments.
- Improves academic performance with better results.
- Motivates children to learn new concepts with the help of experiments.